View Single Post
Old March 27 2013, 09:04 PM   #173
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

26. Olympus Has Fallen: A-
27. The Lives of Others: B+ (German film)
28. The Croods: B+
29. Jennifers Body: D+
30. Evil Dead (2013 remake): B+

Attended a free screening of this with a crowd that seemed largely to be die hards of if not Evil Dead then horror in general. The crowd really seemed to like it either way.
I'm no Evil Dead purist but I appreciated the way they largely adhered to the structure and gave us updates of memorable moments.

For fear of getting into spoiler mode I'm only going to say that it's not a note-by-note remake. It does it's own thing enough to make it unique but still be Evil Dead. I also think that ones view of what is acceptable types of humor in a horror film will play a role in people grading this. By no means are lines written and delivered with the intent to be funny but situationally they are even while the delivery may not be. It's just a few times but the audience, myself included, found them well timed.

It's very gory and got a few jumps. The 50yr old man to my left and the 30yr old woman just down from me both were very easy to get. They got me once or twice also.

!!!!!STAY THROUGH THE CREDITS!!!!!!!
Not only is there material there but brief 3sec scene at the end. When the credits go all black it's not over.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote