View Single Post
Old March 27 2013, 08:41 PM   #2018
Christopher
Writer

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
What do you mean, double standard? I said I'd call out any plot line like this that I felt was pointless, regardless of who is involved.
But you also admitted that you would not claim it was "about" the characters' sexual orientation if they were heterosexual. Don't move the goalposts here. You didn't just say it was pointless, you said it was "about" them being gay. That's the problem.

The difference is that, while they would both pointless to the story, Vale/a random person would just be a pointless subplot. The Keru stuff feels like a pointless subplot with the ulterior motive of trying to show "diversity" at the expense of the story.
And that false assumption is the double standard. It's a startlingly antiquated viewpoint. We live in a time where many works of fiction treat gay characters as simply normal, the same as any other characters. Plenty of Trek novels have done that; Taking Wing was just one of the first of many. And other shows have done it too. White Collar on USA has a supporting character who's in a committed relationship with another woman, and the characters and writers treat it the same way they'd treat a heterosexual relationship. The Canadian Lost Girl features a protagonist who's completely bisexual, and her involvements with women are treated exactly the same as her involvements with men, without any special attention being given to them. And the exact same thing goes for my original novel Only Superhuman, which you see in my avatar.

So we are years past the point where portraying gay characters in fiction had to be some kind of statement about diversity. Maybe in the '90s or early '00s that would've been the case, but today it's frequently treated as simply a normal thing. It's not a statement about diversity any more than including a black character or a Jewish character or an Irish character is a statement about diversity. Eventually diversity just becomes a given, a non-issue. Past that point, there doesn't have to be a statement because it's just taken for granted. That's where Trek novels have been since before Taking Wing even came out. That's where media culture as a whole has been for at least half a decade now. Somehow you just missed the memo.

If he wasn't doing anything strictly secruity, he was obsessed with his dead partner or the ensign was wanting to get together with him. It just felt like it was their just to call attention to the fact they are gay.
No, it was to develop Keru as a character. It was about the fact that he had emotions and relationships, not that he had "gay" relationships.

I can admit to being wrong about him being a placeholder (after all, I've only read two Titan books and didn't remember either of them very well before I started rereading them) but its just the impression book 1 gave me.
And the ongoing problem here is that you are defending your ignorance as if it were something you were entitled to, rather than recognizing that it's something to be corrected by seeking out more information.

I like several gay characters in other media, so regardless of what you seem to insinuate, the fact that the characters are gay isn't a problem to me, and its not causing a double standard.
I am completely unable to believe that given everything you've said here.

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; March 27 2013 at 11:09 PM.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote