View Single Post
Old March 27 2013, 08:28 PM   #30
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Has star trek changed

BillJ wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
yousirname wrote: View Post
I could happily go the rest of my life without ever hearing the phrase "Gene's vision" again.
I don't see how you can expect to not hear the phrase "Gene's vision" in a Trek BBS. Should we just erect JJ-specific Trek hangouts so people like you can avoid Trek purists?
No.

But let's be honest, Gene adjusted his "vision" according to whatever best stuffed his pockets with cash and his couch with starlets.
This.

I have much love and respect for Gene Roddenberry, and the work he did, but things change, and there's no such thing as a "purist" because no series will ever be "pure" to everyone, not even TOS, which would occasionally contradict itself and it's own stated goals. People who claim to be "purists" are merely people who hate any kind of change whatsoever, and hold to their favorite series like a warm, fuzzy blanket. Nothing more.

I think the best explanation for Gene Roddenberry's vision was echoed by James Cromwell's Zephram Cochrane in Star Trek: First Contact, who said, "You wanna know what my vision is? ...Dollar signs! Money! I didn't build this ship to usher in a new era for humanity. You think I wanna go to the stars? I don't even like to fly. I take trains. I built this ship so that I could retire to some tropical island filled with ...naked women. That's Zefram Cochrane. That's his vision. This other guy you keep talking about. This historical figure. I never met him. I can't imagine I ever will."

Gene had a vision, but it was formed much later on, after he had convinced himself that he was doing something for the greater good of humanity.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote