View Single Post
Old March 27 2013, 03:37 PM   #16
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have

LtChange wrote: View Post
Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome had a budget of 2 million. And that was considered a pilot. Once all virtual models are done the budget per episode should have been lower, as these virtual set could be reused from different virtual camera angles and so on so I think it is safe to talk about lower budgets per episode like .5-1 million range, with some exceptions like highlight episodes and season finales, and could be lower than .5 millions for bottle episodes.
I doubt Blood and Chrome could ever get into a submillion budget. From what I understand, CGI hasn't gotten cheaper. Stargate SG-1/Atlantis/Universe was still paying the same amount for CG of people walking though the gate. You can get a bit more out of it for the same amount of money, but the costs haven't gone down at all (which is a problem for Hollywood films and video games too).

Also, Blood and Chrome got lucky and managed to reuse the digitally scanned BSG sets for a lot of their stuff. While that would drive down the costs of their ship scenes over the long run, they would still have to spend lots of money on creating all the other locations. A new Trek show with greenscreen would have to create everything from scratch, which means the initial investment would be gargantuan.