View Single Post
Old March 27 2013, 06:00 AM   #18
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Re: Feminist Frequency's Tropes vs. Women

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I just watched the episode and it was as to be expected for a first episode. She describes the Damsel in Distress trope and then provides examples of this trope in many famous video games. Zelda, Pauline, and Peach get the most focus for obvious reasons.

She did her research and presented the information well, but seeing as how the episode was more or less a list of examples that I already knew about there isn't much for me to say about it. Regardless, it was a good episode and I look forward to the later episodes when she will most likely go more in-depth.
I would not expect a lot of depth from these. Her videos are generally Feminist 101 stuff, and they are directed at people who may know little or nothing of women's issues. If you expect them to get into, say, intersectionality and so forth, you will probably be disappointed. She is trying to reach people who either don't think about this stuff or know very little about it, not those already aware of the issues.

Of course, the response she gets from the people she's trying to reach might make her efforts seem futile.

Yeah, I don't know who this is for. The guys who hate her because they don't want their hobby questioned won't listen to her and the people who would like this material aren't served by the fact that there's very little depth to her discussion (at least the first episode).

The fact that her Bayonetta video was poorly researched and used as "evidence" against her doesn't help matters either.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote