View Single Post
Old March 26 2013, 08:38 PM   #8
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: Paid subscription for scifi short films and serialized shows

YouTube is prepping to launch paid subscriptions for individual channels on its video platform in its latest attempt to lure content producers, eyeballs, and advertiser dollars away from traditional TV, according to multiple people familiar with the plans.
YouTube is treating paid subscriptions as an experiment.
Hopefully at least one paid sci-fi channel.
It's not clear which channels will be part of the first paid-subscription rollout, but it is believed that YouTube will lean on the media companies that have already shown the ability to develop large followings on the video platform, including networks like Machinima, Maker Studios and Fullscreen.
I think the Machinima is the paid channel that will be carrying the Ridley Scott series.

YouTube has reached out to a small group of channel producers and asked them to submit applications to create channels that users would have to pay to access. As of now it appears that the first paid channels will cost somewhere between $1 and $5 a month, two of these people said. In addition to episodic content, YouTube is also considering charging for content libraries and access to live events, a la pay-per-view, as well as self-help or financial advice shows.
Partners will also have the option to include ads in their pay channels, but its unclear what form those will take.
Wow a slippery slope. watching one 30 second ad when viewing with a web browser is irritating to me.

the channels could be introduced to the public at the Digital Content New Fronts in late April,

YouTube Set to Introduce Paid Subscriptions This Spring

Next year, I guarantee, the YouTube upfront presentation will get as much press as CBS upfront regardless of how many more stars CBS pulls onto the stage.
http://mankabros.com/blogs/onmedea/2...gy-is-working/
interesting thought.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote