View Single Post
Old March 26 2013, 07:09 PM   #2002
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Just finished rereading Taking Wing. I'm reading as many of the Titan books as the public library has. It was about how I remembered it. A decent book, even if I got annoyed sometimes. One of the annoyances of this book was when one of the "diverse" crew would show up and they were an alien never seen on the show. I mean, one or two were described well enough that I could imagine what they look like, but the Chief Engineer and to a lesser extent the Pacifican helm officer annoyed me because I had no idea what they looked like, and they weren't described very well. I thought for a second that the pacifican might have been one of the sentient dolphins a few of the older ST books had. Considering the reveal about her and Riker, its a good thing I was completely wrong about that The Chief engineer I thought would be like a large version of the friendly form of the gremlins. I was also way off, but thats what the description lead me to believe for some reason. I'm usually ok with stuff like that, but usually aliens created for ST books are described better, and its usually assumed that the reader doesn't know what they look like, even if they've made other book appearances. As a general rule, if they weren't on TV and they aren't near human, I'd like a good description.

Besides that, the story was decent, although some of the side characters/plots were annoying. I'm glad Keru was put into a coma, he was annoying and I got really sick of the lame stuff about him being angry at Worf or the annoying Ensign who wanted to date him. A lot of the Keru and Norellis stuff felt like a token "Oh, look, gay starfleet officers" thing. I have no problem with gay characters in books/etc, even though I'm straight, but it added nothing to the story and just ended up wasting ink. Akaar also got on my nerves at times, but not too badly. Honestly, compared to the last Titan thing I read (Destiny book 1) that had Troi risking killing herself for a baby that literally had zero chance of living, any of the annoyaning characters in this book seemed like geniuses in comparison. Actually, that book makes reading these interesting, because it proves that Vale and akaar were correct, that eventually Riker will let his wife act like an insane idiot because she's his wife and not act like he should, even though any other officer who acted like her would have been relieved of duty immediately, for psycological reasons if not the fact that they could keel over at any time.

This was an ok start to a new ST series. I'd forgotten a lot of the book, so it was almost like reading it for the first time. I'm sure I read the second before, but I barely remember it either, so it should be interesting. I think the library has the first 4-5 books, so I'll read what they have.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote