View Single Post
Old March 26 2013, 06:52 PM   #840
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Don't know about anyone else but I've given up trying to make sense of Kirk's tastes by this point.

As for 'Deconstruction': Personally I liked it. Not my favourite, but not even close to the worse. What a lot of people miss about the +500 segment is that it's a total '1984' pastiche. The "good facts" bloke (played by guy who played George Francisco in the 'Alien Nation' TV series) spoke almost pure Orwellian newspeak. Similarly, the +1000 segment was a pastiche on 'A Canticle for Leibowitz'.

Personally I liked how it showed that the future isn't plain sailing from here on out. It's a long hard road and we'll occasionally stumble along the way. As much as our heroes changed the future for the better, they didn't create a perfect world where they all lived happily ever after. It ain't that kind of story.

As for the fate of B5 itself; I don't know if you noticed (though Deconstruction should have made it blatantly obvious) the whole show is a story being told in the past tense. It's already happened. It's history, told by those who where there. Indeed the pilot movie begins with a voice over by Londo saying: "I was there at the dawn of
the Third Age of mankind."

Hell, the title sequence of each episode begins pretty much the same: "It was the dawn of the Third Age of mankind...", "The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace." "...in the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater...", "It was the year everything changed."

As for the station itself, well: "Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon Stations..." Not "was the last", not "is the last." Past tense again. Besides, way back in season one ('Signs and Portents') we were shown a vision from a Centauri prophetess of the station's destruction and what other Centauri prophecy were we shown in season one?

Before you go on a rant about "stupid spoilers" though Kirk, remember: Context. Matters.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote