View Single Post
Old March 26 2013, 05:52 PM   #840
Rear Admiral
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Don't know about anyone else but I've given up trying to make sense of Kirk's tastes by this point.

As for 'Deconstruction': Personally I liked it. Not my favourite, but not even close to the worse. What a lot of people miss about the +500 segment is that it's a total '1984' pastiche. The "good facts" bloke (played by guy who played George Francisco in the 'Alien Nation' TV series) spoke almost pure Orwellian newspeak. Similarly, the +1000 segment was a pastiche on 'A Canticle for Leibowitz'.

Personally I liked how it showed that the future isn't plain sailing from here on out. It's a long hard road and we'll occasionally stumble along the way. As much as our heroes changed the future for the better, they didn't create a perfect world where they all lived happily ever after. It ain't that kind of story.

As for the fate of B5 itself; I don't know if you noticed (though Deconstruction should have made it blatantly obvious) the whole show is a story being told in the past tense. It's already happened. It's history, told by those who where there. Indeed the pilot movie begins with a voice over by Londo saying: "I was there at the dawn of
the Third Age of mankind."

Hell, the title sequence of each episode begins pretty much the same: "It was the dawn of the Third Age of mankind...", "The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace." " the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater...", "It was the year everything changed."

As for the station itself, well: "Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon Stations..." Not "was the last", not "is the last." Past tense again. Besides, way back in season one ('Signs and Portents') we were shown a vision from a Centauri prophetess of the station's destruction and what other Centauri prophecy were we shown in season one?

Before you go on a rant about "stupid spoilers" though Kirk, remember: Context. Matters.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote