Thread: Exeter Patch
View Single Post
Old March 26 2013, 07:22 AM   #28
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Exeter Patch

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I thought TMP universalized the arrowhead badge, but the screencaps aren't backing me up.
It did. Personnel on the ship and the office complex, in ST:TMP, all wear the delta insignia. (Starbases had their own insignia.) I do recall seeing a publicity blurb that mention Starfleet adopting Enterprise's insignia. Nevertheless, I was inspired by information about variant TOS insignia, including some speculative fan art, in the "Star Trek Concordance" and developed my own patch (for USS Hood, which the Concordance hadn't featured in that section, but the show had referenced the starship) for some fanfic and costumes I was developing.

USS Hood insignia badge by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

The colour has worn off, but the main section was a silvery, shimmering surface, and I blanket-stitched all around it. The white circle is the plain back of a Scouting badge (that had a waratah flower embroidered on its front), which saved me having to do more blanket-stitching!

I counted all the sides of the insignias in the Concordance, and none had seven sides, so that's what I came up with.

In anticipation of ST II, I created a revised version of my own patch for my new uniform, and then, of course, USS Reliant pops up and all of Terrell's crew had the Enterprise delta!

Originally in painted gold cardboard on a background of white icecream-container plastic, for premiere night of ST II, and later (below) a modification of a cast I made in resin of a commercially available Starfleet insignia pin. Not too bad for a total amateur who'd never worked with rubbery molding compound nor resin before.

Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote