View Single Post
Old March 26 2013, 06:51 AM   #158
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Trek as always falls when it comes to relationships. I honestly think it's the franchises single biggest drawback and something that makes it inaccessible to a lot of people. It's just way too conservative with the honey-snuggles.

Even when it did dare throw a relationship at you, it was like something out of a 50s stereotype.

When you get right down to it Tom and B'Elanna or Worf and Jadzia, for example, were both basically just Ward and June ... with ridges.

And really large cutlery.
It was never going to be a drama about relationships, I (kinda) accept that. DS9 had lots of marriages and relationships so they did try there, which was more realistic as far as actual quantity.

Really I'm just bitching about how sexless Trek is. Some other time when I was bitching about this someone piped up listing all the times people on Trek had apparently gotten it on thanks to wedding rings or offspring or whatever but that is not at all what I meant. It's not about the math, it's about the lack of ever showing a charged atmosphere, the lack of real people with real needs and whims in the matter of relationships sexual and otherwise.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote