View Single Post
Old March 26 2013, 02:04 AM   #87
FKnight
Commander

Re: Commodore Wesley confuses me

I thought this episode was great especially now that I've viewed it after seeing TNG and DS9. I got a real kick out of seeing the crew behave, in light of what we see on TNG, as complete neophytes when it comes to new technology. The funniest part was seeing Scotty lose his shit over the M5 shutting off lights in unoccupied parts of the ship to save power. Who doesn't think that every starship, at least in the 24th century, doesn't have this feature in their computer system?

Daystrom: "You must commit the M5 to handle it's approach, the orbit, and then to analyze data regarding landing party recommendations."
We can almost be certain the E-D's navigation system and mission operations computers do this. There are probably entire subroutines for different away team/mission scenarios that present mission commanders with recommendations upon approach to the planet and inform department heads of important updates.

Kirk: "All it's done is make the required course changes and a few simple turns, Mr. Sulu and Mr. Chekov could have done that with their eyes closed."
Daystrom: "Yes, but you see, the idea is that they didn't have to do it."
Spock: "Captain, I am forced to agree with Dr. Daystrom. With the course information plotted into it, his computer could have brought us here as easily as the navigator."
This is exactly how every TNG era ship works. The CON officer is babysitting cruise control and GPS.

It also made me realize just how far behind TOS tech is from TNG tech and the fact that most of the crew on the TOS Enterprise was needed just to keep the thing moving, while on the TNG Enterprise, while they had a huger crew, it was more about mission specialization with regard to exploration, and probably only a handful of those 1014 people were required to actually run the ship.

It is good that by TNGs time, however, manual overrides were improved (somewhat) and they kept a human crew to actually make the decisions while keeping all of the good advances. I guess it would have been kinda cool in "Booby Trap" to have Picard scoff at the idea of turning the ship over to the computer and maybe reference the M5 incident.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote