View Single Post
Old March 25 2013, 06:58 AM   #233
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: Fan Filmmaker's Primer

Okay, it's been forever since I posted in this thread, but I just did a quick shoot and thought I'd share a couple of quick observations.

In the past I've several times mentioned using paper (aka China Lantern) lanterns as illumination. Here's a photo from Friday to illustrate just how evenly you can light a small greenscreen with them.

The green here is a roll of 53" wide chromakey paper in two strips (the seam was minimized after this photo was taken). It is lit entirely with four 16" paper lanterns with color correct photo optic bulbs, two on each side, one above the other, set about 5' from the screen. The actors are about 10' from the screen so that the lighting aimed at them doesn't cause hotspots on the green nor do they cast their shadows on it.

You can see the lanterns are backlighting one of the actors a bit, but I liked the rimlight otherwise I'd have flagged the balls to keep that from happening.

FYI, that green is from a single roll of 53"x36' greenscreen paper and can be purchased at film/photo expendables store (or even ordered from Amazon) for anywhere between $25 and $40 depending on where you are. There are also typically sizes twice that width for about twice the price.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote