View Single Post
Old March 25 2013, 06:23 AM   #393
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: What are you reading?

So, eight days ago I started Triggers by Robert J. Sawyer - and I finished it this afternoon. Very gripping, though I felt that the story just... stopped. Don't get me wrong - the ending made sense - but it just felt like there could have been another chapter or two.

I was on my way to a meeting for the convention I'm working on when I finished it, so I just put it away in my bag, pulled out The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff, and started that. I'm about 80 pages in so far. (It was a two-hour trip each way.)

I don't read a lot of fantasy apart from Jim Butcher and Terry Pratchett (I've read one Brandon Sanderson novel, one or two Charlaine Harris novels, and a small smattering of horror), but I'm enjoying this one so far. It's reminiscent of the Discworld novels that have Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax as their central characters - the plot involves a young woman who is one of a family of, for lack of a better word, witches. She inherits a junk shop in Calgary from her grandmother and, upon arriving to take it over, discovers that her grandmother's main clientele were the fey community. Also, yoyos are a big seller. (Tanya can be warped sometimes...)
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote