View Single Post
Old March 25 2013, 01:22 AM   #35
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Re: Joel Revisits TOS....

The Enemy Within

Story: While surveying planet Alpha 177, the Enterprise runs into transporter trouble, which results in a Kirk-double appearing after the “real” Kirk beams up. Unfortunately, this transporter trouble prevents a landing party - led by Sulu - to be beamed aboard, and planet Alpha’s temperature is dropping, and the Kirk-double is wreaking havoc aboard the Enterprise.

Themes/Ideology: Everyone has a good and bad side, and both sides have to co-exist for a person to be whole. We all have an ‘enemy within,’ which our conscience keeps at bay, save those times when we need to let our rage out.

Plot Holes: Spock, without any investigation, automatically comes to the conclusion that there is an imposter on board the ship when members of the crew accuse Kirk of uncharacteristic actions. Granted, they may have some sort of camaraderie, but this crew is ‘exploring strange new worlds and new civilizations.’ Kirk might have gone - to coin a term from one of the episodes - ‘space happy’ or a myriad of other things, as well as be an imposter. For the sake of safety (and logic) I would think Spock would have ordered Kirk to remain in his quarters until a full investigation was completed (which would eventually flush out the Kirk-double).

Miscellaneous Thoughts: Spock jokes about the attempted rape on Janice Rand, as sexism rears its ugly head in the original series. He - Spock - doesn’t seem to be on his game in this episode; he acts....illogically.

The story (and additional stakes) don’t really pick until halfway, but it - the episode - still comes off as entertaining: The ‘real’ Kirk is slowing down because his risk-taking, more aggressive side is part of the fully ‘evil’ Kirk...who is, as aforementioned, wreaking havoc....and attempting to rape a certain female yeoman he has been lusting for; and, also aforementioned, there is a landing party that needs to be beamed aboard before they freeze to death.

Shatner, as his ‘evil’ self, is over-the-top, but it works for the character: The ‘evil’ Kirk is indeed less patient, and more aggressive....and with so much aggression, doesn’t seem to have a purpose than to cause trouble because he has no direction. On the other hand, Shatner’s ‘real’ Kirk (without his ‘bad side’) is more reserved, patient, and slow.

A couple of side-notes: We have Johnny Farrell as navigator returning from “Mudd’s Women.” Also, I don’t think Zoe Saldana’s Uhura would have put up with aggressive Kirk; she would have had a phaser ready on stun....and gave Spock an earful on handling his business.

My initial score for “The Enemy Within” was 3.33/5....but I’m dropping it to 3.25/5.

Next episode to be reviewed: “The Man Trap.”