Old March 24 2013, 09:23 PM   #48
Danger Ace
Commander

Re: Brannon Braga on DS9

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Danger Ace wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

Behind TOS and TNG? Yes, yes it was.
In raw numbers, yes. However, DS9 was the number 1 space-station based sci-fi series in syndication during its run.
You might as well also throw in "the most successful series employing a left-handed Key Grip named Roy" - which is to say, if you define your criteria narrowly enough, you can declare anything "most successful."
Hey Legion, thanks for explaining the joke. Originally I was going to throw in a "It was also the number one sci-fi series featuring a bald, African-American, goatee wearing Captain for most of its run," but felt that would've been too obvious.

Hell, DS9 wasn't even the third most successful syndicated TV series during most of its run.
Tsk. Tsk. Now, let's be "fair." DS9 (after TNG left production) was the #1 SF show in syndi for a couple of seasons (until UPN and CW came around in its final season). Sure it was beaten by Herc and Xena (which were good, solid fantasy shows) and they were all trumped by game and talk shows. Deep Space Nueve was by all measures a success and it did beat-the-snot out of B5.

dub wrote: View Post
Behind TNG, certainly. But TOS? I'd love to see the actual ratings numbers for the original run of TOS, even if they're not as detailed as today's numbers.
Yep. TOS failed on NBC with at least twice as many viewers as TNG succeeded with in syndication.
Again, "to be fair," there is a lot of Apples & Oranges comparisons going on within these simple and short retorts, Legion-san.

I would submit that even comparing TNG and DS9 is flawed in that the landscape of syndication had changed. TNG was largely unchallanged, but it's success definately led to the field getting a lot more crowded-er (). All one can do, IMO, is look how each series performed relative to their specific times and the prevailing standards of that day.

TOS and ENT were considered ratings fails. TNG, VOY and DS9 were considered successes. None of that, however, can be construed as statements speaking to quality, therefore, is of limited value.

My opinion.