View Single Post
Old March 23 2013, 03:12 PM   #300
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: New trekID international trailer wed

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Anybody remember when this franchise was about exploring?
I'm not going to sit and count episodes, but not really, no. And I was around at the beginning.

Don't take Kirk's monolouge too seriously. Too many have, on both sides of the camera, right down to the payoff being Archer wrote the words and delivered them in a major speech (which made me throw up a little in my mouth when I heard it -- because the words really aren't that profound or inspiring).

That monologue was never meant to become an edict or the litmus test by which the entire franchise was to be measured for quality or purity.

They were written only to convey the most general gist of the show to the audience every week. A reminder that this isn't a western or hospital show. "Oh, yeah, they're in a space ship. There's a guy with pointed ears. I'll see sexy alien babes." It was fairly common in the day, right down to "Gilligan's Island", "I Dream of Jeanie", and "The Beverly Hillbillies".