View Single Post
Old March 23 2013, 02:55 PM   #233
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Remastering ENT for blu-ray

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
^ since ENT was mastered in HD CBS Home Video was going to release it as a HD home video product. They knew it in 2006 when they started TOS-R. At the time HD-DVD was in the plan for TOS. When the HD format war was over CBS made plans to release on blu-ray and do special features (Value Added Content VAC) and coincide with the release of TrekXI film.
At this point they have the work done for TOS, And a ready for encode ENT, and a expensive and time intensive TNG that is halfway done with season 4.
They were not going to spend the money on ENT to redo VFX when the master was in HD technically.
If they think ENT has a great future in syndication, download, a all-Star-Trek 4k channel, a 4k or 8k physical home video release they will pay to remaster in 4k or 8k (the first 3 seasons from 35mm film) in 10 years. Season 4 is locked at 1080p resolution (uprezzed in-camera from 1080x1440 - Sony HDWF-900 camera)
Some 35mm shot tv shows are doing it right now for 4k.
See here
http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...8&postcount=44
Thanks for the info, jefferiestubes8! Nevertheless, based on the evidence I've thus far scrutinised, I am of the opinion the product will probably be somewhat variable/mediocre in terms of HD PQ when I view it as an end user. Although I can appreciate the reasons for it, the fact remains it is/was possible to produce a superior product, and that, frankly, is all I'm bothered about.