View Single Post
Old March 22 2013, 11:18 PM   #10
Dover
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Which Captain was most lenient on their underlings?

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Dover wrote: View Post
DS9forever wrote: View Post

^ I don't see it as that at all. Sisko even says to Kira in "Past Prologue" "Go over my head again and I'll have yours on a platter".
Yes, he dealt with her insubordination, which is a separate problem. What concerns me more is the problem of her lack of loyalty to both her own government and to Starfleet, combined with experience that makes her capable of actually doing something about it.

He tries to talk to her about it, but he doesn't change her mind. Odo is the one who eventually gives her a push toward making the right decision.
Sisko was in an interesting position, though. Starfleet was there at the request of the Bajoran Provisional Government, for which Kira was an official representative. Yeah, it was risky in terms of lives and property for Starfleet and Sisko to keep her in place, but it would've been very risky for the mission overall to take such a hard-line, paternalistic approach as to remove her. I think Sisko was looking at the long game, and saw three scenarios:

1) he does nothing, Kira chooses loyalty, and their relationship is strengthened (or at least, not damaged).
2) he removes Kira from command, Kira chooses Tahna (possibly in retaliation for Sisko's acts), and his mission at Bajor is jeopardized as a result
3) he does nothing, Kira chooses Tahna and his mission at Bajor is jeopardized as a result.

It seems to me that Sisko was generally very mindful of problems that he couldn't solve through his own authority, and knew that this was one of them.
This is a good point. Say there's a 50/50 chance she betrays the Federation. If he has her removed from her post, it's now basically a 100% chance (because she knows she's not really welcome anywhere else under the provisional government either), and off she goes with whatever intelligence she's gathered from being the first officer under Starfleet command.

I still think it was a risky decision to let it play out and run the risk of her taking off with however many weapons, classified files, and runabouts she could get her hands on, but it's probably a positive character trait for him in that he has good instincts for managing his people under difficult circumstances.
Dover is offline   Reply With Quote