View Single Post
Old March 22 2013, 09:49 PM   #6372
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Maybe we'll still see their Earth 2 versions or something like that, even though it won't be the same.

Action Comics #18: The Grand Finale of Grant Morrison's fantastical Superman opus...was just that...fantastical and grand. Now for those who are confused as to what happened in this entire run...the simplest that I can put it...is that Morrison was establishing Superman as a new American mythology, he states this on the first page of the issue. In his own unique way, Morrison is paying the ultimate homage to Superman's entire history and showing us just how incredible a character he is...and what he truly means to the world. He never gives up, he fights the never ending battle against incredible odds, and he will always win.

As to the actual plot, pretty much unfolded as I thought it would. The Legion arrives to wake up Mxy as Morrison establishes the 5th Dimension species...they're on a higher plane of existence than we lower level conscience species are. Lord V managed to somehow trap Mxy in a coma, so that he could not interfere or aide Superman at all while Lord V did his best to try and destroy Superman...by causing and manipulating various important events through Clark's life, starting right back to the start, with the destruction of Krypton and ending with "Doomsday".

Now...this is going to probably take several reads (Trekker's continued point of that shouldn't be necessary aside) I believe that this issue basically resetted everything to unfold as it should have naturally? Lord V's influence on Clark's life was halted or restored? Mxy when he passed on our plane, ascended to the 5th Dimension where he assumed his rightful place as King and was reunited with his wife? I'm also assuming that Lord V was a family member of somekind...but actually didn't understand that part.

Rags art was awesome in this issue...and the Legion back up story as short it was, almost served as a tiny epilogue for this story. Please someone get Paul Levitz off Legion of Superheroes and put Sholly Fisch or Grant Morrison on that book. The Legion deserves them. LONG LIVE THE LEGION!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; March 22 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote