Old March 22 2013, 08:30 PM   #73
Man Afraid of his Shoes
Vice Admiral

Re: old english accent was closer to American southern accent

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Man Afraid of his Shoes wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
Don't you mean "Noo Joisey"?

I've always been curious about that similarity, especially the hybridization of the "oi" and "er" sounds in both the NY/NJ and Mississippi Delta accents. How did the same pronunciation arise in two regions a thousand miles apart, with very different cultural influences?

Big wheel keep on toinin',
Proud Mary keep on boinin' . . .
But were they very different cultural influences? I'm betting there's a connection somewhere. That's why I was wondering if there was a heavy French influence in early New Jersey.
Is Tennessee in the Delta? Because Tina Turner was born and raised in Nutbush, Tennessee. John Fogerty is from California.
West Tennessee is pretty close. It's all pretty much swampland around Memphis (Nutbush is about an hour away).

Somewhat related, but the other day I was watching some show on one of the History Channels about Moonshiners...probably up around Western North Carolina, and when ever some of them were talking, they were showing subtitles. I remember thinking, "What the hell are they doing that for? I can understand him plain as day!"

Then I thought to myself, "Maybe I better keep that my little secret." So here I am blabbing it to you all.

Last edited by Man Afraid of his Shoes; March 22 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Man Afraid of his Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote