View Single Post
Old March 22 2013, 03:25 PM   #210
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: New trekID international trailer wed

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post

That was my first thought when I saw the trailer. The way he delivers the line is making me cringe. Leonard Nimoy, Mark Lenard and Tim Russ knew how to portray a Vulcan, Quinto on the other hand seems to be completely clueless.
Quinto is great.

Spock had some humorous retorts in STIV, STV, STVI. You can't raise an eyebrow and have the backseat occupant see it.
Of course not, but that wasn't the point. Quinto always has that smirk on his face, no matter how Vulcan he's trying to be. And his voice sounds far too emotional for a Vulcan. Sometimes I think that he was more Vulcan when he was playing Sylar.
Nimoy had said Quinto approaches the character a little differently than he did, but he still approved of the portrayal. There is emotional range in Spock's character. Quinto's Spock is closer to the "THE WOMEN!" stage of Spock's development than the more stoic, hold-it-in Spock we saw in TOS, followed by his mellowing and growing comfortable with his human side in the movies.

As far as the smirk on his face goes, Nimoy's Spock showed that certain self-satisfied look from time to time, too. And, he could be just as sarcastic.

For some reason, the line Spock gives in the trailer reminded me of when Kirk was trying to drive a car in "A Piece of the Action" and Spock told him he was an excellent starship commander, but he left a lot to be desired as a taxi driver.