View Single Post
Old March 22 2013, 11:23 AM   #79
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Re: Franz Joseph Blueprints Revisited

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Was Mike McMaster's work (Bridge, D7, Romulan BOP) ever licensed?

What about Geoffrey Mandel's early work (Independence, K-7)?

You know, it looks to me like McMaster just put his work out there by mail order and waited to see if anybody sued. And as far as I ever heard, he either flew under the studio's radar or they considered him smallfry, being self-published and all.

Paramount must have seen his classified ads in STARLOG. I don't know if they ever contacted him. And of course he died very young. I love his drawings, especially the bridge.

Geoffrey Mandel's K-7 looks like the same deal. The K-7 design rights would be complicated because most of it is a direct copy, line for line, of a NASA design for an inflatable, orbital docking target if I recall (and I don't very well).

There was a recent case on the Internet of some absolutely gorgeous CGI plans and elevations for an enlarged version of the LOST IN SPACE Jupiter II. They poured a large amount of work and loving care into this project and it was a dream to look at. Then Kevin Burns enforced his rights over the whole LIS property and shut these artists down. They were never going to make a cent, but he was protecting the property from slipping out of his control.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote