View Single Post
Old March 22 2013, 01:33 AM   #14
Wingsley
Commodore

Re: S.S. Valiant Appearance

Hello! And thanks to Aridas for starting this new thread so relatively soon after I started my own "Earth ship Valiant" thread over in the TrekBBS Trek Tech forum.

As I posted over in the Trek Tech forum, I have been very impressed with Warped 9's rendering of the Valiant. I followed up that post on page #2 of that same thread with my feelings on both Warped 9's rocket/ringship concept and some ideas of my own. (Specifically posting #27 in that thread.)

In this thread, I want to tip my hat to both Warped 9 and Nightowl1701 for the concepts each has posted here. I also want to proposed a blending of the two concepts, loosely based on Jefferies' ringship sketches. Here's an excerpt from what I wrote over in the Trek Tech forum:

Wingsley wrote: View Post
My basis for a Valiant ring-ship is that the rings are not part of the propulsion system. Faster-than-light propulsion is accomplished by nacelles, similar in design to those of Cochrane's Phoenix, but larger. These nacelles are mounted outboard on the rings. These are not the only pods mounted on the rings. There are other, removable, interchangeable "mission pods" that can also be mounted on these rings. Think of this pod-mounting system as being vaguely similar to Franz Joseph Schnaubelt's container-pods being mounted under a Ptolemy-class warptug. (Only these mission pods are much smaller.) It is possible that some specially-designed mission pods serve as detachable short-range spacecraft that can make planetfall if necessary, like a big, early shuttlepod.)

Much of the design philosophy of later-generation Earth and Federation starships is based on starship classes, with different classes presumably designed or sized for different tasks. The Valiant, being a first-generation FTL starship, reflects a more generic, utilitarian design ethos. It is a "star ship class" vessel. That is to say, there are no cruisers or tugs or science vessels or hospital ships. This is all Earth of the late 21st century could muster; a general-purpose modular FTL spacecraft that could swap out ring pods for mission-specific applications. (Not unlike the Eagles of SPACE: 1999)

The ring design facilitated this pod-swapping feature, making these early starships easier to adapt to mission-specific applications and also to swap out components for maintenance and repairs. (If a mission pod is worn out, it can be removed and recycled; if a pod is jettisoned or otherwise destroyed, is can be replaced, etc.) Even the central "nose cone" structure would be modular, with a forward "command module" and also a mid-section "service module" and an aft "engineering module"; all of which can be removed, serviced and replaced.