View Single Post
Old March 21 2013, 08:30 PM   #14
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: The one cool thing about the Pope selection process

sojourner wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I actually don't think this is "cool." Experiencing life through your smartphone or iPad display is rather sad.
Ridiculous, humans can only experience moments and don't store them well, our brains don't work like that, it's great to have a way to experience it other than our inadequate storage capabilities and what's better, to share it in real time. Obviously you can experience an event and record it concurrently, to think otherwise is pure silliness.

RAMA
Read farmkid's post. Being stuck behind a camera worrying about how good a recording you're getting can definitely take you out of the experience.
I guarantee you the huge majority of people are not that worried about the quality of the picture and wouldn't take very good pics or video anyway(I also note your use of "stuck behind the camera" as bias rather than fact). Did you see people in the image looking at their cameras over their heads or what was happening...yup, you guessed it...but even if you look at an LCD screen you are usually getting an augmented view, even if you are relatively close, but is magnified if you are further.

Also modern tech is starting to take out a lot of the necessary fussing to get images right, this includes making them lighter and smaller. HUD type glasses will also decrease this.

RAMA

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I actually don't think this is "cool." Experiencing life through your smartphone or iPad display is rather sad.
Ridiculous, humans can only experience moments and don't store them well, our brains don't work like that, it's great to have a way to experience it other than our inadequate storage capabilities and what's better, to share it in real time.
Watching an event on a monitor experiencing that event are two VERY different things. You can watch the same event dozens of times, but you can only EXPERIENCE it once.

If experiences and memories could be shared digitally it would be one thing; if your eyeglasses recorded everything you looked at for playback later, that would also be a thing. But witnessing an historical event through a four-inch LCD screen is not at all the same thing as physically being there, immersed in events, with all five senses active and engaged, with 360 degrees of freedom of movement and perception. It is the difference between playing a video game and training for combat; they are NOT the same thing.

Obviously you can experience an event and record it concurrently to think otherwise is pure silliness.
It's a well documented phenomenon since the INVENTION of the camera, that the perspective of the cameraman is often highly distorted by his having to experience a large part of the event through the viewfinder of his instrument. This phenomenon can be so overwhelming that a number of TV cameramen have been caught mindlessly recording events that under any normal circumstances they would be better off throwing down the camera and lending a hand; by necessity, the photographer tunes out his other senses and his normal mode of response in favor of operating the recording tool itself.

It's quite a different matter when the recording tools are automated, and that too is well documented. Many astronauts, for example, have been caught doing and saying really strange and unprofessional things on camera or in a transmission simply because they forgot that they were being recorded.
You can experience something and have it be more enriching and longer lasting by what you recorded there, there is hardly any other reason to record many events except personal interest, so your idea doesn't make much sense. Personally the new Pope might be a historical event but I have no interest in recording it...but to those who do it's important for them to have it. The fact so many had phones there recording it may convince you of it(and in quality and capacity highly superior to equipment from 2005 that makes it even more desirable). If you think using a phone at an event means the same thing as not being there and experiencing it then I simply feel sorry for you.

As I've explained before a cell phone is an extension of human perception, doing things we can't biologically do, and no it doesn't make us a cyborg but it's getting there.

RAMA