View Single Post
Old March 21 2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Re: How much time passes between TMP and TWoK?

I never considered the ignoring of the The Motion Picture. I didn't even know that was something people even considered.

It does seem strange, because once TMP ends, you get the sense that Kirk, now back in command, is taking the crew on a new five year mission and I'm well aware that the film's script is a much larger version of the abandoned Phase II pilot. Then you go straight into The Wrath of Khan and Kirk is, as he puts it, "old and worn out."

How he got from point A to point B was always a mystery to me.

But back on ignoring the first film thing. It does make sense in another way. I've seen Nimoy state many times over the years that there was always a singularity about it. Obviously, they were unaware they'd make any more films after that, but they treated it as if it were going to be one movie.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of it any specific moments in the other series, but are the events of the first film ever mentioned again? I know in that Voyager episode, Icheb seems like he's about to mention them -- though I think he only goes as far to say that Kirk regained command of the Enterprise, so that could also fit in with TWoK's ignoring of TMP.

Last edited by Amasov; March 21 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote