View Single Post
Old March 21 2013, 02:55 PM   #808
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Because its boring (I'll admit thats a personal opinion, but since its a thread about me watching stuff, I think its valid) and it usually devolves into basically just the writer ranting on stuff he doesn't like.
Are you saying that in GENERAL when sci fi takes on media it's boring? Or just when B5 does it? I'm not going to argue whether or not B5 does it well or not, but, if you are saying the former, what makes media so special over anything else? Why is media "boring" but politics or racism not? (As I said in my question to you, putting B5 aside...)

There is that danger in any topic they try to do the modern comparison with, but in this case its really bad. Its taking up a lot of time and adding nothing to the plot. Most of my objections are from the perspective of a viewer. Doing something like this with the media could be ok (it could never be really good or anything, but it can be watchable) but it needs to be done well and not just become a parody
Why do you think media is an exception? You say it could be "ok" but "never" really good... why never? No science fiction has taken on media in an interesting way?