View Single Post
Old March 21 2013, 08:04 AM   #4
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Convention Circuit - Most Favorite Person You've Met?

I said the first part of this in another thread, but here it is anyway. My favorite guest had to be Armin Shimmerman. The man was delightfully full of it, and I loved it. He was very friendly, very personable. We talked for a few seconds while he signed his autograph. He asked me where I was from, how I liked Chicago, and so on. When my friend asked him for a picture, the rep said no, that it would cost $80, to which Armin turned to him and said "He can take a picture of me. I don't have a problem with it", at which point he looks back to my friend and says "Now, young man, you can take a picture of me, but I can't look at the camera, and you can't be in the picture, okay?", so as we turned away, Armin looked over to the side, and my friend snapped a great shot. Armin winked at us as we left.

He's just a true gem. You can tell he loves the fans.

J.G. Hertzler and Bob O' Reilly. THOSE guys could make money just going to conventions as a comedy team. They're non-stop fun, and it's hilarious, because J.G. Hertzler is every bit as wild as his General Martok, while Bob O'Reilly was way more soft spoken outside of his Gowron character. It was fun. Hell, when J.G. entered the building, I heard his voice down the hall and knew who it was right away. On the other hand, I sat right next to Bob O'Reilly, in the hotel bar, talking to him for half an hour before I realized it was him. He just seemed like a really older Star Trek fan visiting the convention!

Max Grodenchik was awesome. He was polite, friendly, cracking jokes with fans. Totally at ease with us.

Jeffrey Combs was a laugh riot. When we had the ice cream social, the actors had to rotate from table to table every few minutes, and speak with the people at that table. We got so into talking about books and our favorite hard sci-fi authors, that when the announcer called out "Okay, fellas time to move on to the next group", he called back "Oh come ON! This was just getting good!", then he looked at us and whispered, "I'm coming back!" and scurried off to the next table.

Marc Alaimo was the surprise. Having met him earlier that day, he had been rather prickly toward a friend (and for good reason!), so I didn't know what to expect. Well, my friend and I see him perform the Shakespeare sonnets, and later on, at the same ice cream social, we meet him. Well, I thanked him for his performance from earlier that evening, and that I had I had fun because I had never seen Shakespeare performed live on stage, and he was almost taken aback. He said that everyone should see Shakespeare performed by a well honed troupe at least once in their lifetimes. He went on and on, gushing about theatrical productions of which I should take note (and see), and his zeal was just wonderful. Just a great guy. That man knows his stuff, and he's very good at it.

The rest of the guests were very polite, and greeted us warmly, but the ones I listed above, they stand out more than anything. I was so tickled to meet some of my favorite cast members, and they were just wonderful. Even 2 1/2 years later, it warms me to think about it, and I can't help smiling.

Oh, and for the record, Casey Biggs is a very good guitar player.

My one regret is that Leonard Nimoy couldn't be there due to a medical emergency. I don't fault him for it, of course, but it's likely the only chance I had to see him in person, and while I have his autograph, it's just not the same.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote