View Single Post
Old March 21 2013, 12:14 AM   #11
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Re: When exactly did Marla McGivers die?

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
Obviously we did not see the death, but it could have occurred as early as the end of TOS's first year or as late as a day before the events of THE WRATH OF KHAN. My personal estimated guess would be between the second and third years of TOS. I thought the question could be asked, in case anyone has established the stardate time through official novels or even fan fictions.
If McGivers had bought it mere days before Chekov's visitation, I can see that making Khan extra-angry.
Honestly, from the dialog of ST:TWoK, I would assume she died BEFORE Ceti Alpha VI exploded - which was 6 months after they were marooned there. So, mid-second Season of TOS at the latest.

What part of this dialog led you to that conclusion?

KHAN (continuing)
Let me introduce you to Ceti Alpha V's only remaining indigenous life form; what do you think? They've killed twenty of my people, including my beloved wife. Oh, not all at once and not instantly, to be sure. Their young enter through the ears and wrap themselves around the cerebral cortex. This has the effect of rendering the victim extremely susceptible to suggestion. Later, as they grow, follows madness, paralysis -- and death. These are pets, of course -- not quite domesticated.
I won't speak for how Noname Given came to that conclusion, but "only remaining indigenous life form" could be a pretty strong statement implying that the only surviving eels are the ones that Khan keeps in captivity.

In fact, the initial scans that the Reliant made of the planet could tend to support that conclusion too, although in not locating Khan's people clearly the scanners weren't really working. With the evident near to total destruction of the ecosystem, the eels in nature could quite easily all die out, having no prey to feed on. In fact, if they still exist in nature after the collapse of the ecosystem, then that would be quite remarkable.

Ergo, getting attacked by an eel before Ceti Alpha Six explodes, while the eels aren't yet all killed off in nature, and before everyone really knows the lay of the land to boot, doesn't strike me as an unreasonable supposition.