View Single Post
Old March 20 2013, 03:52 PM   #37
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Re: College: Gender Studies

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
You know, feminists are not some group mind that all think and act in lockstep with each other. There are extremes in any group, and the group as a whole should not be judged by their worst examples. It sounds like you've had some pretty negative encounters or read some literature that have given you such a strong anti-feminist stance, but to dismiss the movement entirely based on that is shortsighted and unfair, IMO.

Can you imagine dismissing the entire Black civil rights movement based on a negative interaction with a few of its more militant supporters? Yet that's exactly what you are doing here regarding feminism and the struggle for equal rights for women, which is sadly not even close to being achieved in the US and the West, and especially not the rest of the world.

I just think you need to take a step back and examine where all of this anger is coming from and whether you're really giving an objective assessment of the feminist movement as a whole.
And you need to read some more of those linked articles, particularly the one pointing out the intellectual and moral dishonesty in comparing feminism to the Black civil rights movement.

And I see you're pushing the "oh, he must have had a bad experience and that makes him irrationally angry towards a whole group" line of reasoning. Sadly, most people will buy into it hook, line and sinker.
Don't start getting snippy with me. I like you, so I've given you plenty of slack compared with how I would usually respond to someone spouting the type of rhetoric you are. My comments weren't pushing anything. I said it sounds like you've either had a negative encounter or read a lot of literature which influenced your, frankly, rather extreme opinion. Are you going to tell me that's not the case, given the numerous times you've spoken about your personal life here before? Clearly the literature part is true, given the metric fuckton of links you posted. If it's not the case, just say so, don't start categorizing everyone who disagrees with you as giving a typical feminist type five response or whatever.

And I wasn't directly comparing women's rights to black civil rights in terms of scope or suffering (nor does it matter --inequality is inequality and should be addressed regardless), I was using an analogy about your shortsightedness in projecting the negative aspects of the most extreme examples of a group on to that group as a whole. Maybe if you weren't so obsessed with the idea that people are following some ridiculous feminist rhetorical playbook and instead just talked to people calmly and without some angry bias, you'd be able to have a rational conversation on the matter.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'