Thread: New to DS9...
View Single Post
Old March 20 2013, 02:00 PM   #4
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: New to DS9...

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Season 1 is the best season with which to start the series. It's easily the worst season of the show,
I'd say it's not much weaker than Season 7, really. And I wouldn't rate any S7 episode as highly as I'd rate Duel or Emissary.

As for Avery Brooks, he's an acquired taste. Thankfully, I acquired that taste early in my life so I don't have much of a problem with his acting, but I understand why some people don't like it. I don't think his acting style ever changes-
I think his acting style is hugely different once he's settled in to the role. I think in Season 1 Brooks is one of the weak links in the acting department. People hate on her but I honestly think Terry Farrell does a better job early on and gets a much better handle on her character. Sisko only really arrives for me in late S2 and even then took a while to grow on me. His monologue at the end of In The Pale Moonlight cemented him as my favourite captain though.

If you do decide to continue with the show, you should definitely try and finish Emissary as that episode is the beginning of the Prophets/Emissary arc that becomes a major aspect of the show in the later seasons, so it's a bad idea to skip it.
Not only that, but it's just a great piece of TV sci-fi in general.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote