Thread: Scotty
View Single Post
Old March 19 2013, 11:57 PM   #7
Vice Admiral
Re: Scotty

tighr wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
we're talking about a sequel to a film where a character went from cadet to captain in a matter of weeks/months.
Rapid career progression is my main beef with the film.

There are those here on the forum who believe that Kirk was actually a Lieutenant based on his name being "Lt Kirk" on a console, but I don't find that plausible. He spent three years at the academy (2255-2258). Even assuming he had the credits to graduate, he would be an Ensign. McCoy would be the only one who would have graduated to a higher commission, as is typical today when doctors/nurses/lawyers/etc enter the Army/Navy/etc.

We assume the rest of the cadets were already 2nd year cadets when Kirk got on the shuttlecraft (already in uniform) in Iowa, but that would also make McCoy a 3rd year cadet at the time of the Narada incident. He appeared to be fresh off the boat.

well ok, so even if we assume that he's a Lt.(which as you write, wouldn't make sense), we still saw a rapid progression from Lt. to Captain in a matter of months. Still ridiculous, but no real way around it considering they needed him to be captain by the end, and they needed the same crew together.
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote