View Single Post
Old March 19 2013, 11:40 PM   #46
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Commodore Wesley confuses me

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
feek61 wrote: View Post
Happened to a friend of mine! He was the captain of a Los Angles Class Sub and while he was asleep whomever was in command at the time ran into a Japanese ship due to the venturi effect (basically the sub got sucked into the ship as the ship passed over it) and my friend was relieved of command and shortly thereafter left the Navy. Keep in mind before he was a captain of the vessel he was the chief tactician for an admiral at the pentagon. He had a great reputation and knew the right people but in the end it just didn't matter. The commander is where the buck stops.
Ouch! So you are telling us the modern US Navy still clings to this outdated, rigid "the captain is responsible for everything (i.e. every thing)" 300 year-old naval "tradition"?
It is no more outdated than any other policy. Command of a vessel is an enormous responsibility and captains have always been responsible for the actions of their ships and their crews. It's more than just giving orders. They're supposed to be in complete command of their vessels at all times and when something goes seriously amiss, it's considered a failure on the captain's part to command his or her vessel. In the event that a situation was truly beyond the control of the captain, then an investigation will prove that.
This would be rather stupid, considering the costs the taxpayer invested into the training and education of your friend from an economical point of view (from a human point of view it's awful: so you have to be an a**hole to make sure the crew will do its job 100% right but in return will hate and despise you - unless you are a born and natural leader?).
Nothing of the sort. It just means the captain is 100% responsible for his ship and crew.
At least, TOS suggests progress in the far future: In "The Doomsday-Machine" Kirk tries to persuade Matt Decker to return to the Enterprise - "We need your experience!"
In Star Trek VI, Kirk admitted that as captain he was ultimately responsible for the actions of the crew under his command.

Picard faced an inquiry for the loss of the Stargazer, but was exonerated when the investigation apparently showed that it couldn't have been prevented (Picard likely faced another inquiry for the loss of the Enterprise-D, too and was found not at fault then too).