View Single Post
Old March 19 2013, 04:24 PM   #17
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: The "Matt Decker" Moment

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
^^ Now you added Captain Ben Maxwell to the comparison and Mr. Tracey is still part of it.

I don't remember one bit of dialogue that established Mr. Tracey got insane or that his reactions are the result of a nervous breakdown for which he can't be held responsible.

And Dr. McCoy was there all the time to give us a diagnosis. The absence of such a diagnosis rather suggests that Mr. Tracey was working on all his thrusters, IMHO.
McCoy had his hands full trying to figure out how to safely return to Enterprise. Certifying Captain Tracey as insane wouldn't be a productive use of time. They still had to deal with him, whatever his mental state.

Apparently he had started to like the prospect that he had become the master of this planet thanks to superior firepower and even when Kirk told him to come on and let's leave the planet he resisted and in the end blackmailed his fellow Starfleet officers: If you don't do as I want, I'll make sure we all go down together.
Maybe so, but that doesn't mean he wasn't insane.

This was neither Decker's or Maxwell's attitude nor intention. Captain Maxwell was frustrated and embittered but he wouldn't cross this line and start a war with the Cardassians at the expense of Starfleet and his fellow officers.
What? That's what Captain Maxwell did, though. He nearly started a war with the Cardassians. They didn't believe that Maxwell was rogue. Picard had to defuse the situation, but Maxwell damn near did start a new war.

I can understand and even sympathize for Kirk's actions in "Obsession", Matt Decker's in "The Doomsday-Machine" and Ben Maxwell's in "The Wounded". With Mr. Tracey it's different because I see him mostly motivated by selfish reasons.

Bob
That's because you insist that Tracey was sane and just a criminal opportunist. If he was, though, then how did he become a starship captain?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote