View Single Post
Old March 18 2013, 11:54 PM   #35
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Genre switching sequels?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Ah, but TOS tended to switch genres at will: cerebral sf ("City on the Edge of Forever"), war movie ("Balance of Terror"), pulp action-adventure ("Gamesters of Triskelion"), courtroom drama ("Court-Martial), heavy-handed political allegory ("And Let That Be Your Last Battlefield), morality plays ("Conscience of the King") and even the occasional farce: "Trouble with Tribbles," "I, Mudd," "A Piece of the Action," etc.

So, arguably, all the TOS movies resemble the show, depending on which episodes you're talking about!
True to an extent (Wrath of Khan is pretty similar to Balance of Terror, really) but ST V is easily the film that most resembles TOS which is why it's a shame fans hate it.

I feel the same about the much maligned Insurrection in relation to TNG.
On the other hand, you could argue that TVH (which I love and you dislike) has much in common with fish-out-of-water time travel eps like "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and "Assignment: Earth." Not to mention latter-day Trek eps like "Future's End" on VOYAGER.

(Probably not a coincidence that I've written sequels to both of those TOS eps, which were among my favorites when I was a kid.)

Last edited by Greg Cox; March 19 2013 at 01:20 AM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote