View Single Post
Old March 18 2013, 08:29 PM   #27
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: The AGT Dreadnought Enterprise

Look at the TMP Constitution-class.
On every account, she's much bulkier than her TOS forebear - bigger, thicker saucer, thicker neck, larger secondary hull, broader pylons. Plus way more greeblies, angles and detailing. Hardly sleeker...
I have to strongly disagree with that assessment. While the refit is slightly larger than the original, overall it does appear to sleeker and more "aerodynamic" or streamlined than the original (you can have smaller ships be less streamlined than larger ships).
No, by thinking about how to refine the design then start the ball rolling with a starship design and engineering team, duh.
And then the team comes and tells you that you can have anything else you want, but you can't have sleeker, unless you build an all-new hull. And that's not refitting, that's newbuilding.
I would still call it a refit if it still involves the original ship. You can call it an "upgrade" or "redesign" if makes you feel better, though.

It's not easy for me to believe in a third nacelle or other trivialities to the Enterprise-D at all. I think they're utterly horrid and shameful. In comparison, I have no problems with the subtle hull change in the Enterprise-E because of how subtle they are.
Just to clarify, do you find the E-E changes easy to believe in because you can easily pretend they did not happen?
Quite the opposite. I think after a couple of years in service, Starfleet discovered ways to refine the Sovereign-class design and the ship returned to spacedock where those refinements were incorporated. The Sovereign-class wouldn't be the first starship design which featured subtle variants (the Ambassador-class comes to mind right now)

Last edited by C.E. Evans; March 18 2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: forgot the "the" in one sentence
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote