View Single Post
Old March 18 2013, 06:49 PM   #79
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

BillJ wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post

yeah, I didn't know "families on starships" was specifically his idea, but if so, it was another goofy one. Think of major engagements like Wolf 359 or in some Dominion War battles.

Now try to picture families on ships during WWII at the Battle of Midway or Leyte Gulf.
I don't think the comparison is apt. The Enterprise was originally envisioned to be going on a ten-year mission to unexplored space.

There aren't too many family people who are going to sign up to not see their spouses and off-spring for a full decade. If they had held to the original concept, there'd be no way to do it without families aboard.

then they should have shown families being evacuated before going into battles. They only did that a few times with the separation, but really, if they were going to have that concept, they should have stuck with it. Instead, they show kids routinely dragged along into danger and occasionally they hung a lampshade on it.(like in "rascals" when the Ferengi comment on it.)

Or it should have just been understood that to be a deep-space explorer in Starfleet meant having no kids or very rarely getting to see them.