View Single Post
Old March 18 2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Garrovick
Commander

Re: TOS: Spock Must Die! by James Blish [SPOILERS]

It's been about a year since the last time I read Spock Must Die! - I read it for the first time back in the 1980s. Although I agree that James Blish deserves a pass on the continuity issues, I did find it rather hard to believe that the Klingons could have come up with the device they used to reflect tachyons and isolate the Organians from the rest of the galaxy. Of course, at the time, the only information available on the Organians' capabilities came from the last few minutes of one TOS episode, but if they really are "as far above us on the evolutionary chain as we are above the amoeba", I just have a hard time imagining that the Klingons could so completely isolate them (and eventually destroy the Organians altogether). I'd have found it more plausible if the Tachyon-reflecting sphere came from some third party with an unrelated quarrel with the Organians and the Klingons simply found out about it somehow and took advantage of it.

I also found it a bit implausible how quickly and easily "negative" Spock was able to act exactly like "positive" Spock to the point where he was able to confuse Kirk as long as he did. Sure, Spock's Vulcan training and logic would have been a help to him, but his human half with its attending emotional turbulence should have tripped him up more than it did.

The thing I enjoyed the most about the book were the discussions of what happens to the "soul" during the transport process, and if the person who comes out of the transporter is truly the same as the person who enters it. I believe that is the first time such discussions occurred in Trek, although it wasn't the last. I must admit that if transporter technology ever becomes a reality, such concerns would definitely make me hesistate before having my atoms scattered all across the universe.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote