View Single Post
Old March 18 2013, 01:24 AM   #316
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: Levar Burton aka Geordi La Forge criticizes Star Trek 2009

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
The point is that highlighting the flaws in prior Trek is not the best way to defend the flaws in current Trek.
Wrong. It's an apt and effective way of emphasizing that most of the fannish critics of Abrams's Trek movies maintain intellectually dishonest double standards in their attempts to make their complaints work.
You don't have to think every Star Trek movie before Abrams is perfect in order to criticize the new Star Trek movies. Personally, I don't like Jim Kirk in the movies, dating back to the first one. This is a guy who went with his gut, but he didn't outright defy people in advancing in rank to become the youngest Captain in Starfleet history. It isn't until he's sitting in prison in TUC that he decides "Hey, I don't get to do whatever the hell I want. I'm not right all the time." I think TMP and TWOK are good movies, not great, and that the rest were mediocre. I'd much rather see Star Trek on the small screen. I don't think the movies do much exploring--showing the Enterprise crew as anything more than soldiers--and the "keeping the stakes high" has led to a formula I would like to see them break. If STID is as advertised, the last 3 movies have had a madman, bent of revenge, going after earth. That's a trend I would like to see them break.