View Single Post
Old March 17 2013, 07:01 PM   #71
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Re: Am I part Irish or not?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I only scanned it briefly, but I could not find Illinois on that page. I've lived in Illinois all my life, and I can't for the life of me figure out what we call ourselves!
Illini would work too, though spell check doesn't seem to like it. But where I come from, we always just called you FIBs.

This is an interesting topic, and honestly I think more than anything else you are what you think you are. No one would find it weird if I was interested in the Revolutionary War, it created the country I live in. But I have no connection to it, my family didn't arrive for another 70 years. 19th century Irish history? I owe my existence to it. So it shouldn't be unreasonable for that to hold an importance place in my core.

I would never say I'm Irish, though. I'm American, and Irish-American (which honestly is more about the experience of Irish immigrants in America than it is about Ireland, though Ireland obviously plays some part in that).
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote