View Single Post
Old March 17 2013, 12:39 AM   #92
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: A parade of spaceships...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Looking ahead I'm thinking of skipping the Rocketship Galileo and going right to one I've been thinking about for a very long time...

It's going to be a challenge to reconcile some of the shapes and lines into something coherent that really looks like the onscreen craft yet also works in 3D. There are also a fair number of interior shots regarding the cockpit and quite a few of them are generally consistent with each other.
Studying these images and sketching last night I can see contradictions. The most familiar view of the ship (as seen from above) leads one to think that the wings flow back from the nose and flare out yet fixed above the main body. But seen from below that's not how the ship is drawn. Seen from below we don't see a discernible fuselage separate from the wings. As drawn it looks like the wings are much thicker and merged with the protruding forward section. The ship is more manta ray like than bird or airplane like. I don't have a problem with that, but it makes reconciling the top view a challenge. Granted annimated ships are stylized and simplified, but a simple extra line easily added to the bottom view would have made a big difference and yet it's not there. It could be that what we're seeing from above is more of a painting scheme rather than hard lines or shapes. Also the bottom and top surfaces each appear to have a subtle crest or ridge to them as evidenced by a continuous line from bow to stern.
I am mentally wrapping cross-section lines around that thing and it just doesn't add up.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote