View Single Post
Old March 16 2013, 06:59 AM   #1959
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I recently read two novels:

*"Along Came a Spider"by James Patterson - I have seen the film adaptation (which was pretty poor) and the novel obviously expands on the story, but the novel itself is a cliché and isn't as good as it should be. Still, I hope that the rest of the series picks up...(I do own Crossfire and Four Blind Mice - I read Four Blind Mice years ago - but I'm going to be able to look at the series as a whole rather than based on one book).

My score: 2/5

*"hadows of the Moon"by Zoe Marriott - A fantasy story set in a fantasy Japanese society; a girl who wants revenge on a lord who betrayed her father, and must be invited to a high society ball in order to speak to a prince and "out" her stepfather as the evil man that he is. (The conclusion doesn't necessarily go that way, which makes much of the story pointless, since she is being trained to become princess, gaining the attention of the prince...or Moon Prince...which will give her enough clout as a person of high society to do what she has to do). Moreover, there is a "Blasian" romance between the girl - Suzume - and a black young man from a presumably fantasy African country. Interestingly, as much as I give the author "props" for this romance, the suitor doesn't really affect the plot; he could have been jettisoned, and nothing would have really changed in the story...

My score: 2/5

The books I plan on reading next: "Fledgling" by Octavia Butler...and "Kiss the Girls" by the aforementioned James Patterson.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote