View Single Post
Old March 16 2013, 04:52 AM   #64
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Re: What would a TOS spin off look like

Christopher wrote: View Post
Then why are you arguing with me at such length???? If we're agreed that it wasn't his real given name, that's the end of it.
Christopher, I never said that "Gary Seven" was his "real name". If you're characterizing my position as that, then that's a mis-characterization, because I never said it. All I said was a code name assigned at birth seemed like a perfectly reasonable idea, based on everything we saw. I also said I don't see any reason why "Gary" couldn't be his given name.

Maybe his parents gave him the name Gary Moonwatcher, or whatever, or something that would translate into that, and the aliens gave him the code name Gary Seven, meaning seventh subject named Gary, right then and there, all before he was even out of the maternity ward. That's actually precisely what I always thought all along. To me, it's the obvious possibility. Naturally, there are others, based on what we know from A:E.

I also acknowledged that the flip side of "don't see any reason why not" is "maybe not".

And, if you don't want to follow what I wrote, that's your prerogative. But this is a discussion board, and I'm just posting my opinion. I thought we were discussing things, but if you don't want to have a discussion like adults, then that's fine, too. I don't take your decision not to read what I say personally. But I don't see why you should feel that you have any grounds to complain, assuming four question marks in a row is—as it would seem—some kind of rhetorical complaint, when all I'm doing is posting my considered opinion and civilly responding to your posts, which I assume you're investing time and putting effort into too, as if trying to have a civilized discussion.

And anyway, I don't think it's frivolous to point out that real world spies don't put their code names on their fake IDs. Nor is it frivolous to point out that, in the real world, sometimes the code name is the first name assigned to an object, and sometimes things never get any other name besides a code name.

Heck you even said:
Christopher wrote: View Post
"Gary Seven" is his code name, according to dialogue. Presumably it's not his real name.
Emphasis on presumably is mine.