View Single Post
Old March 15 2013, 04:02 PM   #15
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: New to trek literature please help - where to begin

Christopher wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
The version of George Kirk seen in the last movie was based on the one in Diane Carey's novels Final Frontier (a casualty of Star Trek: Enterprise continuity-wise, but a fantastic read nonetheless) and Best Destiny.
A couple of problems with that statement. One, only the name George for Kirk's father was really following the books' lead; Carey's George Kirk was a redheaded security chief with a rather different personality from the character in the movie. And in Carey's version, Jim Kirk had a strained relationship with his father, while the movie established that Prime-universe Kirk had gotten along quite well with his.

And two, it was actually Vonda N. McIntyre in Enterprise: The First Adventure who originally coined the names George and Winona for Kirk's parents, a precedent Carey subsequently followed; so McIntyre, not Carey, is the one you should credit.

And yes, I know the screenwriters have said in interviews that they read and liked Carey's novels. But the fact is that the George Kirk in the movie has nothing specific in common with Carey's version of the character besides the name and the fact that he was in Starfleet. Just because they read the books doesn't mean they copied them.
I did say "based on the one in Diane Carey's novels" - not that they imported him.

My source is Bob Orci himself. When the first issue of Countdown to Darkness was released, I asked him on Trekmovie:
KingDaniel wrote:
Hey Bob, the George Kirk in the last movie was loosely based on the version from Diane Carey’s old novels “Final Frontier” and “Best Destiny”, yes? Is the same true of this version of Robert April? Or did you and Mike Johnson go in a different direction with the character?
to which he replied:
boborci wrote:
yea on Kirk.
alternate universe April affected more by change in history.
http://trekmovie.com/2013/01/22/trek...to-darkness-1/

Not the most in-depth reply ever, but enough I think to justify what I said and how I said it.