View Single Post
Old March 15 2013, 11:33 AM   #62
Timo
Admiral

Re: Spock's the best 1st Officer in Starfleet?

I never liked that comment by Janeway as I felt that it showed how little she knew about Kirk and Co.
I rather liked it for that very thing. Kirk and pals are history by Janeway's time, after all.

Kirk's primary concern was upholding the spirit of the Prime Directive over the literal Letter on the page.
Dunno - when did Kirk hold even the spirit of the PD? He never seemed to think it a bad idea to tell the natives what was going on in the wider universe, except when hiding and infiltrating was the tactical point of the whole exercise ("Bread and Circuses"). For him, PD seemed to mean "Do not play God to primitives unless you really mean it", which is very different from the TNG era version where native cultures would crash and burn if the heroes revealed the existence of space travel, humans, or toothpicks to them.

Interestingly, Spock basically never voiced concerns about interference - it was Kirk's own conscience holding him back, on a rare occasion. Very different from either TNG or ENT where "outsiders" told the hero captain what was allowed and what was not.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote