Early version of An Unearthly Child scripts found + others

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Doctor-scripts-attic/story-18411426-detail/story.html

Very cool.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I saw there was a Radio Times article on this but couldn't read it because my ship blocks the site (who knows why). Thanks posting this so I could read the details about the discovery. Very cool indeed.

3. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a nice story but this guy seems to be making some quite large over claims about Coburn's influence - things like the sonic screwdriver & regeneration came years down the line with none of the original production team still around so it's unlikely they ever saw any of these scripts.

And is the Dalek template anymore than him also having robots in Masters Of Luxor - hard to tell from this but again there's no real proof of anything he is saying.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yeah, his interpretations are kind of questionable, but it sounds like the scripts are real, and hopefully they'll be made available for people to read for themselves rather than just hearing someone else's take on them.

5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

They better be published!

Mr Awe

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, he's overstating the influences on later stuff a bit - any similarities are mostly down to other people coming up with similar ideas because they suited the series (and using the pentorch to open the TARDIS is there in the pilot version of the first epiosde). But that suggests Coburn had the right feel from day one.
    Similarly, a lot of what's mentioned is already known from yes/no memoes (like Suzanne being a princess), but it'll be fascinating to see it in context, in a script.
    And - an outside chance - is there a remote possibility that one of these scripts isn't by Coburn, but is the original 1st draft of An Unearthly Child by CE Webber, which was passed to Coburn as a starting point when Webber dropped out and Coburn took over as writer of the opening episode?

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The scripts were found under some old film reels, apparently an old documentary of Marco Polo, that was of little interest, probably only holding sentimental value for the family."

8. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always been a fan of early drafts, pre-production art and the like. So yeah, I'd love to see these in print some day.

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Not only do I hope they get published but I also hope that Big Finish get the opportunity to use them for Lost Tales, assuming they're good. Yeah, I know the series is ending soon, but who's to say a one-offs can't happen?

10. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder: is there a outside chance that the Marco Polo film cans might actually be copies of the Canadian TV series that John Lucarotti had earlier written, and used as the basis for his Doctor Who script (obviously they're not the Doctor Who serial, or that would be the big news).
    As for Big Finish versions.. forget about it: on the report at the top, these are earlier versions of scripts which either made it to the screen (An Unearthly Child) or have already been done by Big Finish (The Masters of Luxor).

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Umm, I think he was joking about the Marco Polo thing. I can't find anything about that in the actual article.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, sorry, I often succumb to bad jokes about missing episodes. I figured everyone would groaningly get it.

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It made me laugh if it's any consolation.