View Single Post
Old March 14 2013, 06:25 PM   #126
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Dallas - Season 2

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. Josh Henderson gets better with each episode this season. Jesse Metcalfe grates on my nerves whenever he starts to go into super-self-righteous mode. Patrick Duffy was at least likeable when he'd get that way on the old show; Metcalfe just gets steamed up and indignant. You don't believe he'd knock John Ross out for his troubles the way Bobby would sometimes take on J.R. when J.R. would go too far. Too, on the old show, Bobby and J.R. were usually up against one another and on their own in doing so. In the new show, John Ross has Sue Ellen. Christopher has Elena, Bobby, Ann... the stakes don't seem to matter as much if the family takes sides or if Bobby has to swoop in to solve Christopher's problems. If anyone's a pissant, it's Christopher.

There was a great moment a week or two ago, when John Ross and Sue Ellen confronted Bobby and everyone with the news that they were taking over Ewing Energies. (This was in the hostage episode.) Bobby goes looking for J.R. and John Ross follows, going out of the room and into a hallway. Bobby pushes John Ross out of the way and storms off, followed by Christopher, Elena, et al. Moments later, John Ross follows, but he's not in any hurry at all.

It was such a simple, powerful choice in his performance that said volumes about the character and how he (and, I'd wager, the writers and director) understand the character.

Henderson has that (fledgling) twinkle in his eye that Hagman brought to J.R. and I for one can't think of a better actor to carry on the role.
I can. How bout an actor that doesn't friggin' mumble his entire dialogue? I know he's trying to go for that quiet, sexy cool with the bedroom voice and the soul patch, but it just comes across as phony, and that grates on me until he actually manages to show a sharp negative emotion, and watching him yell and stomp around, I'm sorry, makes him look like a whiny, bratty little girl.
First of all, Jon Ross doesn't have a soul patch. That was Vicente, when he was known more readily as "Tony Almeida" on 24. (If you're going to make a point, try to get the nomenclature right.)

Secondly, what you see as "whiny" I see as "fiery and unpredictable." He's absolutely his father's son, and it's made all the more apparent by how goody-two-shoes Christopher is portrayed.

On a related note, I did find it oddly interesting that Christopher seemed to really hit it off with Annie Wersching's character at the racetrack. I almost instantly wondered if she might wind up being a future romantic interest for Christopher, who badly needs to do something a little less princely.

And I never said I liked Jesse Metcalfe. I don't like either character or either actor. I simply hold them to different standards. Neither one will ever live up to the stature of their predecessors. I just think Josh Henderson has fallen farther short than Metcalfe has.
Well to be fair, (and with due respect to Patrick Duffy) Larry Hagman left an indelible, impossible to recreate character in his wake. Of course John Ross was going to be a tough order to fill. What did you expect?