View Single Post
Old March 14 2013, 03:09 AM   #765
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Snatcher42 wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Which means I'd have to edit

"Londo dies as a puppet of the shadows who just manages to do one last good thing before he dies at the hands of his enemy"

to

"Londo dies as a puppet of the [insert alien race name here] who just manages to do one last good thing before he dies at the hands of his enemy"
Well see, what we've been trying to say is... just as you had to edit "shadows" to "other alien race", there are other parts you'll have to edit before the end as well. And while each individual change may not seem like much, eventually you're looking at a completely different sentence than what you started with. That's the trick JMS was talking about.
You mean something like

"Londo dies as a puppet of Vir's Grandmother's knitting club who just manages to do one last good thing before he dies at the hands of his secret love child with a narn"

Or, if you'll permit me a few really stupid scenarios, maybe JMS was an old sci fi fan with connections in the BBC

"Londo (actually the 34th doctor [you'd want a bit of leeway with which version of the doctor he is]) dies as a puppet of the Dalek who just manages to do one last good thing before he dies at the hands of his lover (before regenerating, this time as a more ordinary british man)"

Or, if JMS is a horror fan

"Londo dies as a puppet of the Cuthulu who just manages to do one last good thing before his soul is put into the body of a living doll by the hands of his enemy (who is now in league with Chucky for some reason).

or

"Londo Tiberius molari dies as a puppet of the Borg who just manages to do one last good thing before he dies at the hands of his enemy, who was recently assimilated"

Personally, all of those will probably be as good as what actually happens, even though they're all just examples of me being sarcastic. To be clear, I'm still really liking B5 and its whole story in general (minus the idiotic earth propaganda stuff) and Londo's current stuff has been good. I'm just still angry at the stupid future stuff and remembering that it was written by the same guy who wrote Spider-Man: One More Day, Superman: Grounded and the worst pre reboot Wonder Woman story I've ever tried to read. I guess being exposed to his comic book work long before B5 has always made me a bit leery about his writing. To be fair, he's written some great comics (I liked a lot of his Spider-Man run, even though he wrote the worst SM story ever he did good before that and a lot of OMD is probably more Quesada's fault anyway) and most of B5 has been excellent. Its just that sometimes I remember that he has the potential to be a horrible writer too, and the B5 future stuff just reminds me of that.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote