View Single Post
Old March 13 2013, 10:29 PM   #157
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

32. A Royal Affair (A-)

Denmark's submission for Foreign Language Film last year, and one of the finalists, is an 18th century-set period drama about Britain's Princess Caroline, who is married to the mentally unbalanced Christian VII of Denmark and Norway, and becomes both the ally and lover of the court physician, Dr. Struensee, an atheist with a passion for Enlightenment reform. Caroline is played by Swedish actress Alicia Vikander, who had a big year between this and Joe Wright's Anna Karenina; while I appreciated Vikander's work in the latter film (she was the most affecting part of it), this is the stronger piece of work. Mads Mikkelson is likewise very good as Struensee -- he pretty must just plays villains in Hollywood, so this is a nice change of pace. The least-known of the main trio, Danish actor Mikkel Folsgaard as Christian, delivers what may be the strongest work; he has the most challenging part, playing a king whose mental illness makes him come across quite poorly (especially early on), but allowing us to understand and feel sorry for the poor guy, who is ultimately getting played by pretty much everyone in one way or another.

Cinema: 8 (+1)
Home Video: 23
Computer: 1

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote