View Single Post
Old March 13 2013, 01:53 PM   #105
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: Earth ship Valiant

Warped9 wrote: View Post
The 200 year reference has to be fudged. Folks can say "200 years" or "two centuries" and still not mean exactly that amount of time.
True enough. This also goes for other round figures such as 250, two and a half, etc.

In WNMHGB Kirk first says in his log the Valiant went missing over two centuries ago and then later in another log entry he says nearly two centuries ago. So which is it or did he get more updated information later?
On this point, I think your information might be in error. Unless there is another reference that I've missed, the two references you must be referring were ones I gave upthread:
Captain's log, Star date 1312.4. The impossible has happened. From directly ahead, we're picking up a recorded distress signal, the call letters of a vessel which has been missing for over two centuries. Did another Earth ship once probe out of the galaxy as we intend to do? What happened to it out there? Is this some warning they've left behind?
KIRK: This is the Captain speaking. The object we encountered is a ship's disaster recorder, apparently ejected from the S.S. Valiant two hundred years ago.
If it was the magnetic space storm whisking her away that caused the Valiant to go missing, which I assume, then there was a period of time during which she rode the storm out of the galaxy, then encountered the barrier, limped back, had her on board crisis, and then was destroyed. That explains the time differential between when the Valiant went missing and when the disaster recorder was ejected that Kirk is evidently talking about. I assume that the Enterprise science section was able to date something on the recorder's exterior, such as the charring.

My conjecture is the Valiant was one of those fast STL ships that had an early space warp drive fitted to it then went missing not long thereafter.

Also in the early years of warp flight it might not have worked the way it does in the Pike, Kirk and Picard eras. Being able to go FTL even if not much above light (say maybe 10-20%) would be revolutionary and a helluva advancement, but it's still pretty slow going even to the nearest stars. And maybe warp flight in the early days is more of a point-to-point affair and navigating while at warp is real tricky. Also sustaining warp flight might also be tricky, sustaining a stable warp field particularly while in something like a magnetic storm might have been considered hazardous. In that context then Kirk's assumption that "the old impulse engines weren't strong enough" might have more meaning.
That would all work well enough, I think. It's a nice reconciliation actually, and it's infinitely better than supposing that there are FTL impulse engines. Additionally, it's consistent with the assumption that the magnetic space storm in question itself whisked the Valiant away superluminally. That assumption seems pretty necessary, frankly, since even if the Valiant is FTL, she's still going to be too slow to get out of the galaxy under her own power, given her age. That effect might have rendered her Cochrane drive completely inoperative. Maybe shielding of the era was inadequate, or something.