View Single Post
Old March 13 2013, 05:35 AM   #55
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: Are the Borg the perfect enemy?

They hated how the writer's at Voyager made it possible for little ol' Voyager to consistently beat the Borg all by themselves, when it was previously depicted that a single Borg cube had the ability to lay waste to 40+ Federation starships. I don't get why you have anything against 8472.
The Enterprise defeated the Borg every time they engaged them in straight battle (BOBW, Descent, FC) and no one complained. They're only one crew.

AFAIK, the response was that the Borg THEMSELVES were enough of a threat that having to deal with them as an opponent had possibilities in itself. Introducing Species 8472 cheated the viewers out of the long-anticipated Borg confrontation, then conveniently resolved it by the liberal application of [tech], then bypassed it altogether the following episode by having Kes fling them safely out of Borg space.

It's not just "They made the Borg not-invincible!" It's more "They [the writers] created a race more powerful than the Borg just to create danger, then eliminated the other race, then eliminated the Borg, then went on their merry way."
Newtype is saying exactly what I've been saying: He can't stand that there was another species that could fight the Borg and we were actually shown them doing so. He wanted some big, stupid 100 part story instead of a smaller resolution (which is no different than how TNG did it!).

That's like checking into the Bates motel, watching Norman Bates getting murdered by Jason, then watching Jason getting killed by Peter Pan, and then it's over. It's more than a letdown, you come away feeling like your eyeballs have been raped.
No, it's a reminder that you're actually quite small in the food chain and every once in a while you encounter two larger predators going at it.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
My quatloos are on the Vorlons. No specific reason other than that I could take them seriously, something the stick-monsters of VOY never
achieved.
And if the 8472 were from TNG or DS9, she wouldn't have said that.

Species 8472 were certainly capable of much more than they achieved, but Voyager's writers punted on the whole topic because they were too scared or too lazy to write good stories with the two species that they had just introduced.
No, you can't tell a bigger story when the show is about a tiny scout ship a kick in the shins would blow up.

Now, if they were allowed to drop the "lone ship" thing and gather allies and flesh out the Delta Quadrant (which the premise forbade them from doing), then there's more wiggle room.

The idea to introduce them itself isn't a bad one, and a master race from another dimension would have been an interesting concept for a movie or even an arc on the TV show. Instead, what did we get? Two appearances on Voyager only to never be referenced again.
And if the Borg were never seen again, after BOBW, no one would complain despite them only being in two stories. You just can't win.

I don't think viewers hated the Borg or 8472, I think they hated the writers for wasting great opportunities for compelling television.
They gave them "Scorpion" and got squat in return. An audience that bratty and moronic doesn't deserve anything better.

Last edited by Anwar; March 13 2013 at 05:50 AM.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote